Tuesday 4 March 2014

Howzatt … not very good … thank you very much ...

Master 16 was recently selected for the School Cricket team.

This was the cause of much excitement for him … and much expense for me.

Firstly, I was informed that he required a "kit".

The "kit" consisted of bat, pads, thigh guard, white pants, shoes, gloves, box, hat and a bag to store them all in.

Every piece of this "kit" was of the utmost necessity … and nothing that had previously been purchased could possibly be recycled.  Apparently Hubby's "kit" was all too big and Master 16's previous "kit" was all too small.

There was nothing for it … I was assured … but to go and purchase all these items … ASAP.

So we did … and it cost us a not so small fortune.



Then I was informed that it was simply impossible for him to wear his glasses whilst playing … and he required contact lenses … it was imperative that said contacts be purchased … ASAP.

So we did … and it cost us a not so small fortune.

On Monday, Master 16 and the rest of his team played their first match.

They lost spectacularly.

On Tuesday, I was advised …  for the very first time … and NO Master 16, you NEVER mentioned it before … that the tournament was sudden death … and that's it … they're out … no more matches … EVER!

To say I was not amused might be understating it slightly!!!

20 comments:

  1. Oh dear......I would be finding another team for him to join so said kit can be put to good use....either that or off to work in the salt mines for him !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo … salt mines … now there's a good idea ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh no! At least you took a brilliant photo of him choosing his kit even if his career was short-lived! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody kids! What a pain! I would insist that he find some local cricket team which will take him on, just so he can use all that expensive kit! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be playing next season … now lets hope they all still fit him by then
      xx

      Delete
  4. I admire your strength in allowing said child to live. I'm not so sure I wouldn't strangle one of mine who had done that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As my husband says on moments like this (holding his hands out towards said kid who has incited his ire " INSERT NECK"! I would make him wear them every weekend...to the mall, to his friends, to all outings for a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL … that sounds like an excellent plan :0)
      xx

      Delete
  6. Will he be doing extra chores for the foreseeable future! aw they do pull a fast one, but ouch, ouch, ouch on the wallet, maybe he can find another team for now x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be finding another team next season … for sure … now!!
      Teenagers are so sly these days … I'm sure I was never like that ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  7. That's so not funny!! So why am I chuckling . . . .

    Shall we just say we should applaud his confidence . . . losing obviously wasn't on the agenda. But then again, maybe the whole kit, and nothing but the best, expensive kit really WAS the agenda!!

    And how did he go with the contacts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was ALL ABOUT the kit … I'm convinced of that.
      As for the contacts … I refer you to my next post :0)
      xx

      Delete
  8. Ah children. Aren't they just the most adorable money user uppers? I really hope he finds another team. I'm rooting for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So been there with buying things that were 'needed' and then never used to their full potential. He will play cricket again don't you worry. As parents it is only fare that we invoice our children when they leave home for all the money we have spent/wasted on them, either that or they get a water tight contract to have us looked after in our old age in very very expensive care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan … I'm going to get it in writing ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  10. This reminded me of my (now 14 year old) son telling me very excitedly that he'd been selected for the school cricket team when he was in about Year 4, I think. It was only two weeks before the summer hols started, but he still insisted upon me buying him the full kit which, like you, cost me an arm and a leg. By the time the cricket season came round again the following year, he'd grown out of it all. I did manage to sell it on eBay, but for far less than I'd paid for it! Not happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sneaky little foxes … that grow too fast ;0)
      xx

      Delete