Friday 14 March 2014

Absent thoughts ...

My boys played truant from school today.

It was the annual athletics carnival … and neither of them are renowned for their athletic prowess.

In the past I would have given a spirited and motivational speech about how it's the participation that counts … not the winning. And then I would have provided an inspirational spiel about supporting their school house … and being a good school citizen.

But I'm clearly weakening in my old age … and they took swift and full advantage of this.  When I was confronted with the usual "Mum … can we have the day off …it's just the athletics carnival" … I simply shrugged … made a token suggestion that perhaps they should attend … and then gave in.

Master 16 made a speedy getaway to a friend's house … and has not been seen since.

But Master 13 and I decided to spend the day together … bonding.

We went to the shops … his suggestion not mine.

Master 13 never, ever suggests we go to the shops … so I knew there was an ulterior motive.

Turns out it was to buy a voucher for some game platform I've never heard of … don't know the first … or last … thing about … and can only hope it's not about to destroy our computer.  Such is the extent of my technological savviness.

But he was certainly pleased with it.


Then we enjoyed a healthy and nutritious lunch … NOT ...



… and came home.

And that was that … bonding time was over.

Master 13 disappeared into the computer room … and I spent the afternoon with a raging case of indigestion ... racking my brain … unsuccessfully … to come up with an excuse to write on their absentee note.

Anyone got any clever suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. The occasional truant is fine (don't tell the children though haha!) I'm threatening to bunk my youngest out of school for one day before the end of summer (it's her last month in her junior school, she will be doing nothing anyway!)you could say dual doctor's/ dental appointment's, it was the best day as it wouldn't affect their education, and you have lost their appt cards, well, why would you keep them! the boys sound like they had more fun, you definitely made Master 13's day! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he'd be more than happy to take the day off every day ;0)
      xx

      Delete
    2. I refer to them as mental health days - but the deal is we have to do something together. It is all about me really, but don't tell them!

      Delete
  2. A friend of mine used to get a random day off from school every year to spend with her mom. They'd shop and go out to lunch and just hang. Her mother would write a note to the school saying that it was "Japanese Girl Day." The school never questioned it. But since you're probably not Japanese and he's not a girl...Australian Boy Day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking "Mental Health Day" perhaps … who could argue with that one???
      xx

      Delete
  3. My notes to school were a bog standard, ? was unable to attend school today. Your sincerely ?
    Never got questioned so stuck to my lack of information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole "less is more" approach … that could work.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I tried that one once and the nosy teacher asked for more information … I think he just felt like having some juicy gossip for the staff lunchroom ;0)
      xx

      Delete