Friday 7 March 2014

An Ode to our Optical Odyssey ...

My son … he loves cricket … so he tried out for the team.
It's a sport that he holds ... in the highest esteem.
It wasn't too long ... before he was heard to exclaim,
"I made it … I'm in ... I must prepare for the game."

The preparations were not ... to go and get fit,
What he meant was it's time  … to buy the priciest kit.
Then once he was batted and padded … boxed and the like,
You would think he was ready … but NO … there was one final strike.

"But Mum" … he cajoled … "I want to make a big score",
"And that will be hard  … when my eyesight is poor."
"What I need are some lenses … the contacty type,"
"If I have some real soon … then I won't need to gripe."

So he made an appointment … you can do that online,
And before I could blink … he had a day and a time.
I could feel my poor purse ... getting lighter and lighter,
But he couldn't care less … the self centred blighter.

Then I warned him  … quite gently … that despite his confident air,
That contacts were tricky … and must be handled with care.
He pooh poohed my concerns … "Mum it'll all be alright"
"I'll pop them in for the game and improve my eyesight."

"I only will wear them ... for sport …  you will see,"
"I can handle these things … it will be easy for me."



So we arrived ... at the Optical Shop … right on cue,
And listened intently ... to the lady who knew.
How to put in those contacts … and how to take them back out,
How to wash them … and store them … she left us no doubt.

Then it was time … to make the transfer,
And that's when the phenomenon ... began to occur.
He held that small disc ... and he looked at his eye.
Then he blindly pushed on … and gave it a try.

At that point … he paused … he was suddenly clammy,
His heart it was racing … a big double whammy.
His face it went pale … with a grayish, green tinge,
Sweat formed on his brow … and he started to cringe.

He put down the contact … and made a quick plea,
"I really must sit … I'm weak at the knee."
"I'm feeling all dizzy … my innards are churning."
It was very dramatic … and somewhat concerning.

And so we discovered … despite his confident air,
That touching his eyeball … is something he just cannot bear.
Now the hard lesson to learn ... was don't be such a "know-all"
But as a typical teenager … he probably learnt nothing at all.

By Me

25 comments:

  1. Jo!!! You are a regular Dr. Suess!!! This is so funny. It sounds so much like my son. You have earned a well-deserved Gold Star for Super Mommyness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOYS!! Oh and I love Dr Suess … so that is a compliment of the highest order :0)
      xx

      Delete
  2. This is a story that will be sure to plague him for a very long time....well written. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious! As a long-time contact lens wearer, please tell your son he is a great big wuss! (Only joking, it takes a bit of getting used to but then it becomes second nature.) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did eventually get one in and out … but hasn't touched them since … could be another expensive mistake ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  5. I wondered about this, and it hardly surprises
    It's a little unnatural, putting things in our eyes-es
    I'm sure it's a case of 'if Mum can, it's a snack!'
    Then it's not, but they don't say 'I take it all back,
    I thought I could do it, I just didn't pick it
    Can't put in the contacts, nor win at the cricket!'

    ReplyDelete
  6. A poet, an artist, damned hilarious, is there no end to your talents? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha … thanks Vix … you are too kind to me :0)
      xx

      Delete
  7. Jo, you are brilliant! contacts are tricky but once he gets used to them, your son will be whipping them in and out! my eldest had them at 11, and I have been paying for them since!! how did that happen?? she's 19! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment he's refusing to even try again … but they're bought and paid for … so he better get over that quick smart ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  8. Love it! And I love your header. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison … glad you like it … both of them ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  9. LMAO Oh I love it - not your lighter purse or the eyeball part. But the lesson taught to a teenage know it all (I have a pre-teen know it all) and you poem are both award worthy :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the twenties … when they realise they don't actually know it all … after all ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  10. I love it! So clever, Jo. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so very clever! And also very correct!! Hope you have a book for all your fabulous writings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your poems!! Poor boy, I totally understand. It took me a good month to stop wanting to pass out every time I put my lenses in. But nothing would stop me from pushing on, nothing! Vanity is a great motivator. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant Jo, you're a funny chick x

    ReplyDelete