This is good news for a couple of reasons ... it means I don't have to cook dinner ... because it's birthday boy's choice ... and he chooses Chinese food. It also means there is a very good chance I will have the opportunity to eat cake ... though I probably WILL have to cook that.
The not so good news is that I had to find a present for him. Hubby always claims "I don't want for much" ... which is code for you'd better get me something good ... but I'm not going to tell you what it is that I want.
I made several suggestions for gifts he might like ... like remodelling the bathroom, or replacing the carpet, or making over the front garden or even these ...
... in size 5.
Surprisingly he refused all these offers ... there's just no pleasing some people.
After some serious consideration he came up with an alternative ... a new golf club. Now as golf clubs are not my area of expertise I suggested that we go shopping together ... he could choose the golf club ... I would pay for it using my credit card ... and then he could pay the bill when it comes in at the end of the month. That's what I call an excellent plan.
Now given that it is Hubby's birthday ... this leads me to dwell on the serious matter of ageing. Hubby's ageing ... not mine. I thought about the fact that he is now a year older than he was yesterday and I came to a startling conclusion. I am now married to an old man.
Several factors have led me to this epiphany.
- He goes to bed at around 9:00pm and wakes up before 6:00am.
- He gets cranky if he doesn't go to bed at around 9:00pm and wake up before 6:00am.
- He likes to eat dinner at 6:00pm.
- He grumbles about young people and how easy they have it in this day and age.
- He has a tricky knee, a bad back and a dodgy shoulder.
- He has stockpiled more pills, painkillers, liniments and vitamins than a hospital pharmacy.
- He wears joggers with jeans.
- He turns electrical appliances off at the wall.
- He thinks sleep ins are wasting the day.
- He talks about superannuation and retirement funds ... a lot.
- He tells "dad" jokes.
- He listens to talk back radio.
- He wonders where his taxes go.
Yep ... the evidence is clear ... he is officially old.
Old Codger Hubby!!!