Monday 4 August 2014

Stitchin and a Bitchin ...

It's early August … and that can only mean one thing in these parts … it's time for my annual weekend away.  A rollicking two days filled with good old fashioned stitching, bitching, overeating and alcoholic consumption.

There is a simple formula for a successful stitch and bitch.

You need to collect up an excessive amount of stuff … things you will need … and lots of things you won't need … but better take … just in case … cause you just never know.  You're only going for two days … but it is imperative that you pack as if you're leaving home for a month.


Amongst all this stuff you will include a "project" … now if you are an avid and motivated stitcher you will have a new and exciting project every year.  If you are me however, you will be working on the same project for the fourth year running.



You load all this stuff in your car … and head south … pausing briefly in the "big smoke" to pick up your fellow stitcher/bitcher … sister Juliet.  Now it is very important to head south … because when you are planning a getaway from the winter blues … it's imperative that you head in the direction of the coldest weather possible.

Upon your arrival you set up your sewing machine … and settle in for a weekend of serious crafting.


Oops … how did that get in here.

There will be other crafters there … and they will be doing clever, crafty things … things they have not been dawdling over for four years.



You will sew a bit … and drink a bit …


and then you will somehow manage to con your sister into believing that her time would be much better spent helping you out with your project than working on one of her own.


Then if you manage to stay on track just long enough … and survive the cold nights and frosty mornings …


you might … you just might … have something to show for your weekend away.


Hurrah … success!

Of course now it just has to be quilted … but that's a post for another four years time.

18 comments:

  1. The impact is amazing, but I would have had trouble staying motivated too, with monotones.
    Did you do your sister's project for her? It's always easier to clean someone else's house, than your own(literally and figuratively !) XO JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was VERY hard to stay motivated … hence the 4 years … sometimes I just longed for a bit of variation in colour … but yes the end result is pretty effective :0)
      xx

      Delete
  2. That's absolutely incredible. i think I'd have just done the bitching and boozing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, did you actually really truly make that quilt? It's fabulous! Once I got started on the booze and the chat, I'd never do anything else, so I am in awe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that kept me going was the absolute determination that I WAS NOT going to come home with it unfinished AGAIN!!
      xx

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness that's amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaaay back when I first started the idea was for it to represent the night sky … hopefully it achieves that :0)
      xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. His reaction was predictably low key … he did mumble something like "Mum you do realise I'm 17" … but the evil eye I shot him changed the mumble to something like "family heirloom … i'll give it to my kids"!
      Neither was exactly the reaction I had hoped for ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  6. Wow it looks great! Well worth the wait I reckon! You're a clever girl Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about clever … half insane perhaps … if I had been REALLY CLEVER iI'd never have started ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  7. Well Rome wasn't built in a day now was it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL … Rome probably wasn't even finished in 4 years … woohoo I'm a winner ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  8. Feck me it's gorgeous! it seems alcohol and cake are very, very important for sewing success *writes this down immediately* x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely … they're entirely necessary to the whole procedure … good luck ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  9. Wow! Bloody good job there missus! Love it! Oh you've inspired me now to get my B&W quilt out that I started recently. Looks like the kind of weekend away I would like ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've promised myself the next quilt I make will be very, very colourful ;0)
      xx

      Delete