Saturday 4 January 2014

Ring, ring ...

On Christmas day my Father-in-law asked me if I wanted an old telephone.

For some reason I find it very difficult to say "no" to offers of other people's old stuff.

I'm pretty sure my father-in-law has worked this out.

Now … whenever he wants to get rid of something … he asks me.  After all it's far more efficient than organising a council clean up ... and cheaper than a trip to the dump.

So anyhoo … on Christmas Day he asked me if I was interested in an old phone they used to use.

"Ummm" I hesitated … I mean let's face it … what ... in all reality … am I going to do with an old phone.

As if sensing his sure fire method of garbage disposal was finally at an end he threw in the ultimate temptation … "It's red".

Now that's just not playing fair.

So yesterday Hubby returned from a visit to his parent's place with this.


I showed it to Master 13.

He looked at it with a puzzled expression.

"It's a phone" … I prompted helpfully … "We all had them"

"But … but …" he looked perplexed,  "How did you call people?"

What a difference one short generation makes!

12 comments:

  1. red for emergencies?.....we had a boring beige one....they are lovely and heavy and bring back memories of "Allison get off the phone!!!"....does it work? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it does work … but I'd have to change the little thingymajig that plugs into the wall into the new type of thingymajig that plugs into the wall.
      Chances of me actually doing that … slim to none ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Haha we have one exactly the same..only black. My kids said the same thing.
    Do you remember having to try and ring radio stations for competitions with them...how long did it take? Red is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol … no such thing as making a quick call back then
      xx

      Delete
  3. I love it! Brrrrrring! Brrrrrrring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what they sounded like … aaahhh memories
      xx

      Delete
  4. my phone is almost the same!! and the Eldest did the same, hadn't a clue! my house is the dumping ground for my Mums stuff, which I like as she sends down great things! (steam cleaner, towels etc) x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they do say one persons trash is another persons treasure … my house is getting awfully full of treasure ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, how very cool. Then we upgraded to push button!! Hang onto it for a few more years as it will be worth something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always envious of the people with the push button phones … so state of the art … my Mum still had our old rotary dial phone until after I left home.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I love old phones! Ours had letters round the dial as well as numbers.
    Kids... they know nothing! A while back, I saw an old mono record player in a charity shop and Nina (my youngest) asked me what it was. For shame! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YIKES … I really did live back in the olden days ;0)
      xx

      Delete