Saturday 11 January 2014

Lost and found ...

Well what an unexpectedly action packed and adventurous Saturday I have had.

It all began this morning … when I was lolling around in my pyjamas … because this is what I do on Saturday mornings when I have no action or adventures planned.

My peaceful introspection was disturbed suddenly and rudely by a burst of excited, manic barking from Buster.  The cause of such behaviour required investigation and was explained when I found a gorgeous puppy sitting on the front doorstep gazing interestedly through the sidelight beside the door.

Buster is an unsociable pig of a dog … who believes that no other animal has any right to be anywhere near our house … or anywhere at all for that matter.  The level of his fury escalates in direct proportion to the size of the dog.  This was quite a large puppy.  Buster was not happy.

By the time I got to the door the cute interloper had disappeared.

However by the time I had showered and dressed … she was back … peering through the door.  The momentum of her wagging tail increasing in direct proportion to Buster's fury.

So I grabbed a leash and a few treats … and went out to corral the wild beast.

It wasn't exactly hard … I do believe she thought I was her long lost mother … and the only danger I was in was being licked to death.


So then we put Plan A into action ... Master 16 and I went off on a walk around the neighbourhood … knocking on doors … trying to find someone missing a big, licky puppy.  We were given a few leads … but they all came to nothing … no one was missing this beautiful girl … and no one could recall seeing her before. No success.

It was time for Plan B … we piled her into the car and drove to the vet in hopes of locating a micro chip. The vet advised us that should a micro chip be present they would be able to contact the owners and keep her at the surgery until her collection … if there wasn't one they wouldn't be able to keep her.  Unfortunately … despite all our crossed fingers and toes … no micro chip could be located.  No success.

Now for Plan C … the plan we had been hoping to avoid … it was time for the pound.  The vet assured us that there was no chance she would be euthanised.  The pound would keep her for seven days … giving the owners a chance to claim her … and if they didn't she would be adopted out.  It was with very heavy hearts that we took her in and handed her over.  At which point she was placed unhappily into one of these … jail cells.


We drove away … feeling guilty.  But surely someone would claim her … surely.  The pound would be the obvious place to go searching for a lost puppy … wouldn't it?

That could have been the end of the story … but for the power of social media.

I discovered a page on Facebook aimed at reuniting Lost and Found animals and owners on the Central Coast.

So I posted this.


Then 12 minutes later … someone posted this.


There was a flurry of commenting and tagging … as everyone put two and two together … and they all lived happily ever after.

14 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely ending....we lost our dog and he never showed up despite being micro chipped...dog napped and taken out of the area we think....hope the reward was a good one. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won't be claiming any reward ... just knowing she won't be staying at the pound is reward enough for us. I think she may have been stolen also ... because the place she went missing from is over 10 kms from our house ... along some major roads. I'm wondering if someone took her ... and then had an attack of conscience and dumped her.
      At least we did get the happy ending.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I held my breath there, what a brilliant story and I'm so happy she has been re-united, she looks like the happiest dog and must have known you would help her (yes, I do believe these things!) well done you! it's a lovely start to my day x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so happy she came to our place too … and that we had the very best outcome we could have hoped for. Hopefully her owners will get her micro chipped now and Plan C will never have to be implemented again ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I did too when I realised her owner was found … I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night worrying about her.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Aww, poor baby Stella! How good to know she has been reunited with her owners (who will hopefully get her microchipped now.) Hope Buster has removed from his shock and outrage! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buster likes to act a bit stand offish when he doesn't approve of something you've done ... but he can always be won back over with a tummy tickle. I know his currency ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  5. I thought this story was going to finish with you deciding to take Buster to the Pound and taking Stella home with you!! You could at least pretend that's what you were thinking and threaten Buster with it every time he misbehaves in the future!! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella wouldn't fit through our doggy door ... she is going to be one HUGE dog when she is fully grown. But I will definitely use the threat ... not that he'll care ... I think he feels quite confident in his position as Leader of the Pack ;0)
      xx

      Delete
  6. What a clever girl to choose your family to lead her home, she's gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you so earned your Angel wings!!!! I do like a happy ending to a story so thanks for that. My small dog Oscar was a demanding little piece of #$%@ until we adopted another dog, Sheba the big one and now he is such a sociable delight. Maybe you should get another DOG!!!!! Certainly puts the small dogs in their place and dogs do enjoy the company of another dog. Apparently us humans just are not enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talk about doing this ALL the time … it's a definite possibility … if we dare ;0)
      xx

      Delete