Hidden away in the back of my brain somewhere is a memory from long, long ago of me playing with a set at some body's house. I can't recall whose house it was....but I do recall falling in love with these beauties.
Over the years I have always meant to get myself a set. But they always seemed to be either really authentic and therefore really expensive...or really cheap and therefore really cheap.
Then I came up with the grand plan to paint my own.
I bought myself a set like these....
....which you can get from eBay....and got to work.
Most of the authentic ones seem to be in bright, bold primary colours....but mine clearly aren't authentic and I didn't bother to try and make them look it. So I just used colours I thought would suit the decor.
I painted them and then gave them a layer of varnish. That's where the plans came a bit unstuck...as the clear varnish I used left a layer of bubbles and bumps over their entire surface. I may have been able to sand them back and then re varnish....but I didn't want to take the chance of sanding the paint off.
So here they are....my little Russian beauties....just don't look too close.....cause they've all got a bad case of acne!!