Friday 11 January 2013

My New Year's Non-Resolutions.....

We're well and truly settled into the new year and I still haven't broached the subject of New Years Resolutions.

I don't usually bother with them....and I've certainly never been known to stick to them.

So this really isn't a New Years Resolution.....it's more a threat to myself....that just happened to occur close to the beginning of the year.

This year I WILL finish some of the projects that I have already started.

I will try not to start any new ones...note I stress try....until I have completed those already begun.

I put my inability to "complete" down to several factors;
  1. I am lazy
  2. I lack motivation
  3. I am easily distracted
I like to do patchwork....but I do it very sporadically.  I am currently working on a quilt for Master 15.  When I say currently it means that I began this project....and never finished.  I have been "working" on this for 3.....I repeat THREE years now.....with very little to show for it. If I stick to my current rate of progress I might be able to give it to him for a wedding present. This year I WILL finish it.



I have had a cross stitch in progress for more years than I care to remember...my best estimate is over 8. I stopped one day when I got to a challenging bit and I never picked it up again.  This year I MIGHT do a little bit more....perhaps...but that's kind of unlikely.



We have been living in our house for eight and a half years now....and we still haven't finished the back garden.  It's a work in progress....in that it needs lots of work and so far has made very little progress.  We have done bits and pieces over the years and yet still it remains mostly empty.  We have a few tomato plants....but they miraculously popped up all on their own.  This year we...I say we because this is a two man job....WILL complete that garden.



More recently I decided to attempt a little mini makeover on a piece of furniture...I talked about it here.  I pulled it out, got it onto a drop sheet, brushed the dust and cobwebs off it, I even went and bought the paint and then I walked away.  My excuse was that I want to replace the knobs and until I have new ones I don't know if I need to fill the holes left by the old ones.  Any excuse will do....when you're looking for one.  This month I WILL finish it.



There were a couple of paintings I started too.  I went out and bought the canvases....I sketched a bit of a picture onto them....then I put them away out of sight. That was 18 months ago....this year I WILL finish them.....and then I will put them away out of sight again.



I'm sure there are many more little jobs lying around incomplete and I could go on and on....but then it would just get overwhelming, not to mention depressing....and I don't want to be tempted to place it all in the too hard basket.  So I will keep it small...ish....and I WILL finish these non-resolutions THIS year.

If I slack off I expect you all to give me a good kick up the pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment